in common.

Once we were into all the same things. We conformed in all our favorite music and our hobbies. I don't know exactly why, maybe because when we were dating we tried so hard to please and impress one-another, but we could say with confidence that we had a lot in common.

Through the last four years of our marriage, Duke has developed a deep interest in some things that I am just not that crazy about. He loves Microsoft Excel. And checking the news every five seconds. He drools over biking catalogues and his music can be quite obnoxious.
My new-found adoration for crafting isn't exactly his cup-of-tea either. He checks my blog every once-in-a-while but it's not really his thing. My interest in photography and family history has taken flight with out him.

You might say that we don't have much in common these days.

But, you want to know a secret that a friend of mine (who has been married a bit longer than I) told me once? She said the only common interest that matters is the interest in each-other.

And you know what? Even though I am basically sleeping with my eyes open sometimes when he tells me about a work project, I notice the way his eyes crinkle in the corner when he gets to the exciting part of the story. I love that he calls me from work, almost too giddy to speak, when he wants me to look up a new song he's found. (And when he emails me several times to remind me to look it up.)

We may not find what we like in the same places, but we love to see each other happy.

And when we do happen to find the same thing amusing, it's magical.

There's this ridiculous song he showed me that makes me laugh my fanny off. You'll probably think it's really stupid. My favorite lyrics:

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you
But I get the feeling that you don't like it
What's with all the screaming?
You like monkeys, you like ponies
Maybe you don't like monsters so much
Maybe I used too many monkeys
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

So anyway, I'm aware that there are scenes of his life that I don't really play a part in. But I'm alright with that. Because I'm a star in his favorite parts. Just like he's a star in mine.

Comments

Brieanna said…
I think that it is natural to have different interests. I love psychological thrillers and Joe hates them. Joe likes Emo music and I have never appreciated it. Whenever I feel like we have no common interests, I think about the main thing we have in common: our heart conditions. We both care about the same things to the core. I think that is more important than the day to day hobbies.
Melissa said…
I'm afraid in my situation...we started to lose interest in each other too...It's a sad, sad thing...especially for the kids.

Kudos to you! Keep your marriage strong and at least "pretend" to be interested in spreadsheets and accounting!! (even though I KNOW how boring they can be!)

I don't know you, but you seem to love and adore your husband....I think it's amazing!