Words of wisdom for a searching heart.

This last weekend, for me, held a infinitely valuable schooling. I feel as if the words I've heard flipped a tiny switch on the rail-road of my life and sent me on a path along lush fields of greater understanding.

From a tender-hearted man I had never before seen or heard, a message of family and personal honor:

"Our kind, wise, and loving Heavenly Father has given us commandments not to restrict us... but to bless our lives and protect our good name and our legacy for future generations."
-Elder Mervyn B. Arnold

A voice of comfort and practicality about courageous parenting came from another dear man I've only just heard for the first time:

"Imagine for a moment that your daughter was sitting on the rail-road tracks and you heard the train whistle blowing. Would you warn her to get off the tracks? Or would you hesitate, worried that she might think you were being overprotective? If she ignored your warning, would you quickly move her to a safe place? Of course you would! Your love for your daughter would override all other considerations. You would value her life more than her temporary good will."
-Elder Larry R. Lawrence

President Thomas S. Monson, beloved prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spoke many times during the conference. The words that touched me the most were given to a broadcast specifically for the women of the church. He spoke of the dangers of judging one another and the enabling power of pure love:

"There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action."


An inwardly (and outwardly) beautiful woman's words inspired us to read together from the scriptures each night with our children, even though they are young. Especially because they are young.

I felt comforted and humbled in my responsibilities as I listened to the words of a beloved Apostle, Elder Jeffery R. Holland.

The speaker who always seems to be addressing very core of who I am and how I think, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, again presented gems of wisdom such as this:

"Some suppose that humility is about beating ourselves up. Humility does not mean convincing ourselves that we are worthless, meaningless, of little value. Nor does it mean denying or withholding the talents God has given us.We don't discover humility by thinking less of ourselves. We discover humility by thinking less about ourselves."

Many spoke boldly to clarify positions and illuminate the gray areas of life, exposing them for what they are. President Boyd K. Packer sang out:

"There are those today who not only tolerate but advocate voting to change laws that would legalize immorality, as if a vote would somehow alter the designs of God's laws and nature. A law against nature would be impossible to enforce for instance; what good would a vote against the law of gravity do?"



Because I have listened, with an open heart, to the words of wise men and women who have come before me, I am where I am today.

Urged onward by those who seek and share light and truth, I journey home.

Comments

This is a wonderfully written post. I loved general conference! I left feeling like there was so much I can do, but not being weighed down by it all, rather being uplifted by the thought of being better.
Teresa said…
I agree. Lovely post. I did not get to listen to as much of Conference as I wanted to. I look forward to reading and/or watching the messages online. Thank you for sharing. You have encouraged me.
Amy Nielson said…
wasn't conference amazing? loved uchtdorf's talk about slowing down too. always a good reminder :)