The desire and the calling

I miss teaching. I miss being a part of something bigger than myself.

I know that the opportunities to serve are still around me, but they aren't flocking to me the way they did when I was attending school at Brigham Young University- Idaho just months ago.
In the 3 years I spent there I was assigned to be a teacher, a counselor, a committee member, a service leader and all sorts of other callings in my church. I always felt needed.

It has been humbling to see the world keep turning with out me.

Last night I spoke at an event honoring young women, including my little sister, for their accomplishments in a program called "personal progress" (which is a lot like the boy scout program for young men). My heart pumped with enthusiasm for virtuous living as I looked out over their faces and wished success for them.

A beautiful night. I needed to help more than they needed my help.

Why do I keep waiting to be asked before I make any effort to help anyone?

Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work. (D&C 4:3)

I swear, I am always relearning things I already sort-of knew.

Comments

Unknown said…
Beautiful! You have a way with words.
Sunshine said…
We needed you Megan, and we were so glad to have you there. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Sunshine said…
Megan, these photos are so great! Can I hereby dub you the Official Jan Ree Ward Young Women Photographer?! I want you to take pictures of all our activities! Thank you so much for taking pictures of YW in Excellence. These photos will spark treasured memories for many, many years. (I need your email address.)