Dandilion Ribbon-Flower Tutorial

I've had my eye on these gorgeous flowers from EmersonMade for ages now, and finally I decided to try my luck at creating something similar! Enjoy my findings, and let me know if you come up with any more tricks for these babies!

Cut three circles from a thin but sturdy fabric that doesn't fray. I wanted a flower that was about 4 & 1/4 inches in diameter when finished, so I used these diameters;

1. 3 & 1/4 inches (The top of a ribbon spool.)
2. 2 & 3/16 inches (The inner circle on a small canning-jar ring.)
3. 1 & 1/8 inch (The top of a sprinkles container.)

As you can tell, I'm not the most scientific when I pick my measurements, but those worked very well for me.

To go with the biggest circle, cut 30 pieces of 5/8" ribbon into about 1 inch strips.

Use fabric glue to secure the ribbons around the circle, leaving about a half-inch of each piece hanging over the edge.

Sew the ribbons on to the circle. The closer to the center of the circle you make the stitch, the easier it will be to hide later on.

Cut 25 pieces of ribbon to be just under 2 inches. Glue them onto the medium-sized circle so that just over an inch is hanging off the side of the circle and secure with a stitch.

Cut about 15 pieces to about 2 inches. Glue and secure with a stitch so that about 1 and 1/2 inch of each ribbon is hanging over the side of the circle.

Yours will probably be a lot neater than mine, haha, but the idea is to have three circles that end up being about the same diameter. If you don't want your flower to fray, you'd better singe all the edges of the ribbons at this point. Or if you're lazy like me, you won't.

Stack the middle layer onto the top and rotate it until you get maximum coverage of seams. Sew them together along the stitching you did on your middle-size layer. (If your plan is for a permanent flower, this would be a good time to sew it to a bag or wallet.)

Add the smallest circle, adjust for maximum coverage, and sew 'er on.

Cut a few strips of ribbon to be about 4 & 1/4 inches long. Lay them across the top with the centers crossing in the middle. I used about seven strips, but I would imagine it could take more or less to cover the mechanics and suit to taste.

I used the sewing machine to tack the ribbon in place, then i added a scrap-booking brad for a finishing touch. I also used a bit of fabric glue to secure some of the longer pieces.

Oh, and for the centers, buttons looked pretty groovy, too, so have fun with the options!

Add a pin, or clip, or headband and there you have it! Happy spring, all.

Comments

Whitney Lane said…
LOVE these!! way to figure out a simple, beautiful way to make them. :)