Tuesday, September 13, 2011

old photos and the now.

Does anyone else adore the flash-backs in movies and shows? I'm slightly obsessed with back-story, even my own.

Sometimes I get caught up looking through old photos and I discover (or rediscover) such tender mercies. What a marvelous thing it is that we start out so little, and get to be so grown-up. I love that we take our turns in each stage of life, hopefully enjoying what little time we have in that phase as we gradually move on.

What a sweet thing it is to look at our children and know that they came from us. I love noting the boys' deep, brown eyes, freckles, scrawny build or familiar chin. And what a sweet thing it is to see my lover's features in our babies, wherever his genes stepped in. The combination is perfect. I couldn't have designed them to be so perfect.


Sometimes I get caught up looking through old photos and I discover (or rediscover) the child I was. Then I laugh, because, for example, I had forgotten my deep love for Johnathan Taylor Thomas (or JTT, as you fellow fanatics will remember).

I see so many things that have changed (the fashions) and so many things that haven't (my generally free spirit and confidence- even slight cockiness). I love where I came from.


Sometimes I get caught up looking through old photos and I discover (or rediscover) how much I want my baby to be outside of my belly, not in it. I fall in love with my former freedom of movement and covet, horribly, the free me from not-so-long ago.

That's about when I need to stop looking at old photos.


"Learn from the past, prepare for the future, live in the present." -President Thomas S. Monson

Well, I've lived a full life to this point. I've got plenty of dreams to achieve, looking forward. And my present... I wouldn't want to wish away this dear, and oh, so brief season of largeness-for-the-sake-of-baby.

Things were lovely. They will be lovely. And they are pretty darn lovely now.

5 comments:

kelly said...

yes but you're the cutest pregnant lady around! and boy or boy does your son look just like you! i love when that happens.

Stephanie and Todd said...

LOVED JTT!!! Haha! Also love this sweet post :)

Natalie said...

JTT was a little young for me. I was of the Kirk Cameron crush era. But he wasn't my crush. Just my sister's. I crushed on Tom Selek, molestache and all. Creepy for a 12 year old? Probably.

Scott and Stacia said...

I loved JTT too :) It is fun to remember back to those type of things. To me the last leg of pregnancy is the hardest in ways! Hang in there!

Cody said...

MEGAN! I loved him too! I had over 200 DIFFERENT posters of him. There were so many that I had to switch them out periodically. Your blog is so entertaining and I love the new ballet pictures =o)