blessed day.

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we bless our babies in church.

We don't believe in baptizing babies, that is to say, we believe that children are innocent and need no baptism until they reach an age of accountability (eight years or older) and can choose for themselves to be baptized, taking upon themselves Christ's name and promising to live like Him.

All of our babies have been sweetly blessed by their father, who holds the Priesthood. The Priesthood is God's power on earth, given to worthy men to help them to be His hands here. Babies are blessed with that power. Children and adults are baptized by that power. Couples are married in our temples by that same power, and under that same authority.

Just a little information for ya'll.

I am so thankful for the gospel of Christ. I am thankful for a light and guide I have through its principles, which are founded in the teachings of the Savior. I couldn't possibly be a good mom without it, because I am very weak without Him.

What a joy to be bringing up our children in a religious environment. I have fears as it is, and I can only imagine how I'd worry if I floundered in which principles to teach for the sake of their protection.

Brittain's chief rabbi, Johnathan Sacks recently wrote, "We have been spending our moral capital with the same reckless abandon that we have been spending our financial capital. ... There are large parts of [the world] where religion is a thing of the past and there is no counter-voice to the culture of buy it, spend it, wear it, flaunt it, because you’re worth it. The message is that morality is passé, conscience is for wimps, and the single overriding command is ‘Thou shalt not be found out."

The Prophet of our Church (who we believe is like a modern-day Moses or Abraham, having the same power bestowed from God) has this to say...

"It may appear to you at times that those out in the world are having much more fun than you are. Some of you may feel restricted by the code of conduct to which we in the Church adhere. My brothers and sisters, I declare to you, however, that there is nothing which can bring more joy into our lives or more peace to our souls than the Spirit which can come to us as we follow the Savior and keep the commandments. That Spirit cannot be present at the kinds of activities in which so much of the world participates. The Apostle Paul declared the truth: 'The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.'"

I love the Lord, dearly. I try not to be afraid of sounding like a "religious nut," and to instead act with faith and stand by my values. Seeing others who are brave in living and sharing their convictions, whatever their religion may be, gives me courage to do the same.

A close and successful family is my deepest desire. A forever family. With each member truly happy.

In such a confusing world, I know I can hold on to the Rock that is Christ, the Savior. And I hope with all my heart that my children will do the same.

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” -Isaiah 41:10

Comments

Meg said…
Very well said, couldn't say it better. I can't imagine the church not in my life as well. Also it is always a great day to see your own baby being blessed in the church,wearing a white blessing gown and having your husband blessing your new little bundle of joy.