just sit down.

i have four tornados.

their room is 700 square feet of toys, clothes, shoes, costumes, and once nice stuff they've trashed.

there are food handprints on the walls and chairs, playdough chunks in the carpet, and stickers stuck to almost everything.

what takes hours to tidy can be undone in mere seconds.

good thing they're so cute.

good thing they say funny stuff that makes me laugh.

the other morning i awoke to another turned-upside-down-and-shaken-around house. i felt like i should just sit down on the couch with the kids, which is so hard for me when things are cattywampus. we sat in a giant pile of stuffed animals and real human beings and did nothing extraordinary. just sat and talked.

out of the blue finn looked up at me and said, "this is what families do."

yes, it is, isn't it.

Comments

Laura said…
I know exactly how you feel. I once heard the saying that went something like "cleaning house with small children is like shoveling snow during a blizzard." I need to remember to stop shoveling sometimes and just sit down.