tough girls.

this is shaping up to be a summer of service. is there anything sweeter?

a few months ago we went to a friend's house to help with a huge cleanup project. we must have taken 7 or 8 truck loads to the dump. my family came out to help, including my parents, and everybody worked their buns off. later my mom shared with me an exchange she'd had with my dad after we called it quits for the day...

mom: well, i worked hard today. but i didn't work as hard as megan.
dad: nobody works as hard as megan

that is going to stick with me forever. what a compliment from my dear dad.

i come from a long line of women who work pretty dang hard. and it looks like we've got another live one...
 photo _DSC4387_zps1fa27972.jpg photo _DSC4389_zps46963759.jpg photo _DSC4398_zps94aeea00.jpg photo _DSC4378_zpsdd638e1b.jpg photo _DSC4386_zps2a5b2ef0.jpg photo _DSC4404_zps0f28358b.jpg photo _DSC4391_zpsb5dc1850.jpg photo _DSC4409_zpsa25d90c7.jpg
evy hauled an enormous amount of wood the other day with cheerful vigor. the boys helped for a bit and ran off as expected of any child. evy stayed until the work was done, insisting on working without breaks. it left us all with our jaws on the floor.

on the flip side of being a hard worker comes the tendency to be pretty tough on myself when i fall short of my best. also runs in the family. so i came across the most beautiful speech on this very topic, yes! it is magnificent! fabulous! the best news i've heard all month! and i can't stop thinking about it.

here it is: becoming perfect in Christ by Elder Gerrit R. Gong

it's a must read if you've ever struggled with perfectionism or if you have desire to do good and be good that causes anxiety over every lost opportunity or mistake.

hooray for timely doctrine and advice!

Comments