my golem.

when the stars align so that we've got a quiet evening at home i'm pretty dumbfounded. i love it, yes, but i almost don't know what to do with myself. that's when i scoop up my camera and try to bottle the moment.
 photo fall is here 14 of 96_zps96hs02oa.jpg
 photo fall is here 13 of 96_zpsmlfu5lns.jpg
generally, i feel content about life right now. we don't have any big projects going and our home is pretty orderly. the boys seem to be loving their new school and matt's work is steady and comfortable. he and i have been having weekly planning meetings and weekly date-nights (yes, two separate events. wow, right?).
 photo fall is here 12 of 96_zpsdftd9mlx.jpg photo fall is here 15 of 96_zpswj6bu7gv.jpg
my online classes have become more predictable, the volunteer and exercise schedules i've set are sustainable. evy seems to be handling the challenge of having more alone time.
 photo fall is here 16 of 96_zps5dsevnef.jpg photo fall is here 17 of 96_zpsmioamblc.jpg
we've had some recent trouble with ossi's struggles (that deserves a post of its own), but we have been able to retain a sense of purpose and hope.
 photo fall is here 18 of 96_zpsw0clzy5n.jpg photo fall is here 21 of 96_zpscu0imniz.jpg photo fall is here 20 of 96_zpsjxw7etep.jpg
so, the real trick is to not self-sabotage. i've been noticing that my contentment leads to staying up a little later to watch shows or neglecting simple tasks. when i let the little things slip i can feel my depression swoop on me. especially when i'm not sleeping well. i also need to watch the little voice in my head that tells me i'm not good enough.
 photo fall is here 23 of 96_zpsied1ubgs.jpg photo fall is here 24 of 96_zpscqffulra.jpg
i recently explained to matt, "when i'm doing one thing i feel like i should be doing something else. when i'm working on a fun project i think i should be doing school. when i'm doing school work i think i should be cleaning the house. when i'm cleaning the house i think i should be reading my scriptures. and when i'm reading scriptures i'm content but i know that there's all the other work still to be done. it's hard to let myself have joy and be present in whatever i'm doing."

one reason i love to talk to matt is that he cuts through that voice with a stronger tone and tells me i'm allowed to be happy.
 photo fall is here 22 of 96_zps7naq24vw.jpg photo fall is here 25 of 96_zps9pnpefuv.jpg
i feel like my camera is a breathing-exercise for my spirit. i can stop and just walk around and verify to myself that life is beautiful.  
 photo fall is here 19 of 96_zpscjlhe0g1.jpg photo fall is here 27 of 96_zps791dfq1a.jpg photo fall is here 29 of 96_zps6wd78yad.jpg
the other thing i do lately is listen to this speech, "Joy and Spiritual Survival." unlike many of the videos circulating the internet these days it isn't flashy or calculated to provoke intense emotion. it's just full of truth that sings to my soul, illuminating a path. another is this, "Am I Good Enough? Will I Make It?" the same rich power of truth in this speech pulls me to my feet and helps me face my depression.
 photo fall is here 26 of 96_zpsroy7gtqn.jpg photo fall is here 28 of 96_zpsed7vosqk.jpg
because, frankly, my depression isn't limited by how great my life is going. it nips at my heels in the best and worse of times. depression is my golem.

that's one things i've accepted about my journey.

Comments